Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

chuck cmedcoff at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 07:47:06 EST 2005

> I did a fairly thorough investigation of web frameworks that let us
> write Python (we didn't care what the framework was written in; merely
> that it interfaced with Python) for one of the systems I've built this
> year. I wouldn't call the evaluation of web frameworks a problem - we
> met our schedules, and the tool evaluation phase was by *far* the
> shortest phase in the project, taking less than a week. Most of the
> evaluations were easy - read the description of the framework, and
> decide that we're working outside the problem space it's desinged
> for. It certainly wasn't wasted time - I found a tool that I hadn't
> heard of previously that was nearly perfectly suited to the job at
> hand.

As I read through this thread I can't say that I disagree that having
more choices is a 'good thing'.  However in your example here - I
suspect that you are a bit sharper and have a bit more guts than your
average code slinger since you appear to be an independent.  You've got
to remember that your average corporate programmer - which are the
folks driving the popularity of programming languages - isn't that
sharp/confident.  (I don't mean to insult anyone but that just the
facts.)  They don't do things like evaluate frameworks and make smart
choices.  This is why there needs to be obvious and singularly popular
frameworks and IDE's for Python so that people don't have to think that
hard about it.  Take Java for example - for the most part its Eclipse
and Struts.  I know there are many other choices (I've used them), but
even the managers know these terms.  Very, very few people I know in
the IT world know of 'Python', let alone the name of any web framework
or an IDE for Python.

One of the great things about Python is its simplicty/clarity.  Its a
shame that there doesn't also exist a clarity of choice for a web
framework for Python or an IDE for that matter.  Both of these would go
a long way in motivating people to take a look at Python and realizing
what great value it has to offer the IT world in solving problems.