Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Dec 16 13:49:53 EST 2005

"chuck" <cmedcoff at gmail.com> writes:
> As I read through this thread I can't say that I disagree that having
> more choices is a 'good thing'.  However in your example here - I
> suspect that you are a bit sharper and have a bit more guts than your
> average code slinger since you appear to be an independent.  You've got
> to remember that your average corporate programmer - which are the
> folks driving the popularity of programming languages - isn't that
> sharp/confident.  (I don't mean to insult anyone but that just the
> facts.)  They don't do things like evaluate frameworks and make smart
> choices.

Let's just note that sturgeon's law applies to all programmers, and
let it go at that. I'll get back to this.

And thank you.

> One of the great things about Python is its simplicty/clarity.  Its a
> shame that there doesn't also exist a clarity of choice for a web
> framework for Python or an IDE for that matter.  Both of these would go
> a long way in motivating people to take a look at Python and realizing
> what great value it has to offer the IT world in solving problems.

I'm not a big fan of popularity for the sake of popularity.  While
there's nothing wrong with popularity, and it does have it's
advantages, "it would make Python more popular" isn't an adequate
justification for a change, and *certainly* not for a change that is
otherwise undesirable. After all, sturgeon's law applies to the
populace, so "the populace's" skill at judging languages/IDEs/etc. is
debatable at best.

If having to many web frameworks is a real problem, let's work on
it. If not - well, we'll suffer with the consequences of using
high-quality, if obscure, tools.

And, to head off the obvious complaints, "not being designed by the
populate" does not imply "hard for the populace to use". With Lehrer's
comments on folk music in mind, I'd argue that the reverse implication
is more likely true.

     <mike