Favorite flavor of Linux? (for python or anything else)

Brett Hoerner bretthoerner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 20:00:04 EST 2005

I have to add another vote for Gentoo.  I agree that you just "have
less problems" on Gentoo.  Updates are from source, but you don't have
to update mid-day while working on a project... if you really want the
new version of KDE (etc) then start an update and go to sleep, not a
big deal.  Portage (package management) is amazing, also... for both
new and advanced users.

Also, I don't use it for the CFLAGS, etc.  If Gentoo were the same
speed, or even mildly slower than Ubuntu, I would still use it.  The
general speed boost is just a bonus.  I use very simple (-O2 -pipe)
CFLAGS, by the way, but -march-pentium-m on my laptop makes a big
difference over -mcpu-i386 distros.