Python -- (just) a successful experiment?

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Aug 7 05:05:59 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Robert Kern <rkern at ucsd.edu> writes:
>
>>No it's not wrong to want these things. The problem is that we're not
>>lacking in people posting this *same exact complaint* every month or
>>so. We *are* lacking in people implementing these things.
>
> Eh?  Nah, we keep getting lame excuses on why those things aren't
> needed and users should just supply tenacity and expect to suffer and
> they should stop being wimps, and having to locate, download, and
> figure out how to use a dozen packages from all over the internet
> really isn't more hassle than a one-click install with unified
> documentation for everything.

*I'm* not giving those excuses. I'm doing the work to assist in my area
of interest.

http://download.enthought.com/MacEnthon/ReadMe.html

>>If you want to see these nice accoutrements, *stop posting here and
>>get to work*!
>
> Eh again--says who?  You?

Yes, me. I've been doing the legwork.

> Most of those functions for Python are
> already floating around the net.  It's simply a matter in many cases
> of deciding to include them in the distro.  The problem is an attitude
> that making things too easy for users is un-Pythonic.  If you think
> it's just a matter of writing code, you're not on the side you think
> you're on.

I said nothing about writing code except as part of a list of several
things that this thread won't accomplish. I certainly don't think that
it *just* involves writing code.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu