Python -- (just) a successful experiment?

Björn Lindström bkhl at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Sun Aug 7 05:31:46 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> Eh? Nah, we keep getting lame excuses on why those things aren't
> needed and users should just supply tenacity and expect to suffer and
> they should stop being wimps, and having to locate, download, and
> figure out how to use a dozen packages from all over the internet
> really isn't more hassle than a one-click install with unified
> documentation for everything.

I don't see why the things you talk about would have to be part of the
main Python distribution. Ruby on Rails seems to do pretty well without
being included with the core language.

There's already a pretty successful programming framework for Python
(Zope), and I don't see why people wouldn't be able to put something
like that together to compete on more equal terms with Ruby on Rails, or
Delphi, &c.

If you want the whole of the Python community to start developing stuff
for one particular GUI toolkit, I think you'll have much more success by
just making a really good GUI toolkit, than trying to force people to
use it by standardising it. (Which I think is shown by the proliferation
of GUI toolkits other than Tkinter.)

In short, when you have your one-click-install Pythonic IDE
extravaganza, I'm sure people will download it, whether or not they can
do it on python.org.

--
Björn Lindström <bkhl at stp.lingfil.uu.se>
Student of computational linguistics, Uppsala University, Sweden