Jargons of Info Tech industry

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Aug 27 15:03:10 EDT 2005

Ulrich Hobelmann <u.hobelmann at web.de> writes:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
>> Try turning off JavaScript (I assume you don't because you didn't
>> complain about it). Most of the sites on the web that use it don't
>> even use the NOSCRIPT tag to notify you that you have to turn the
>> things on - much less use it to do something useful.
> I had JS off for a long time, but now so many websites expect it, and
> even make browsing more convenient, that I grudgingly accepted it. ;)

I've turned it on because I'm using an ISP that requires me to log in
via a javascript only web page. They have a link that claims to let
non-JS browsers log in, but it doesn't work. My primary browser
doesn't support JavaScript or CSS, and is configured with images
turned off, mostly because I want the web to be fast. What it does
have is the ability to launch one of three different external browsers
on either the current page or any link on the page, so those faciities
are a few keystrokes away. The default browser on my mac has all that
crap turned on, but I dont have anything I consider either import or
sensitive on it, and the only client who has data on it considers such
thinsg an acceptable risk.

>> Sturgeon's law applies to web sites, just like it does to everything
>> else.
> Yep.  Filtering is the future in the overloaded world.

And to the best of my knowledge, Google filters out content that my
primary desktop browser can't display.

         <mike