Python -- (just) a successful experiment?

Paul Rubin http
Sun Aug 7 09:29:04 EDT 2005

bkhl at stp.lingfil.uu.se (Björn Lindström) writes:
> > I haven't used Ruby on Rails but from the description I saw, its distro
> > includes everything needed, which I assume includes Ruby itself.
>
> Hm... did you read my posting before you answered? That's exactly the
> kind of distro I suggested that you would make. Ruby on Rails is not
> Ruby itself, you know.

I'm going by another post earlier up.  I'm not sure if it was from
you.  The distro in question was the Ruby on Rails distro.  The person
said he downloaded and installed it and it did everything in one
click.  That would imply that it included the Ruby language.  Nothing
stops the Ruby on Rails packagers from making the Ruby on Rails distro
a superset of the Ruby distro, after all.

> > I have the impression that Zope is ungodly complex, and revolves around
> > a weird and nonstandard database instead of having an SQL interface.
>
> That's why you would put something together "to compete on more equal
> terms with Ruby on Rails".

Yes, it sounds like we agree that Zope isn't the answer.  There's
probably Python code around that does similar stuff to most of what
RoR does, though it might be that RoR uses Ruby language features to
do some things more conveniently than Python can.

> > Anyway, I'm a Python user, not an evangelist.  As a user I'm happy
> > to have Python and am thankful to its authors, even though (like
> > anything else) it's a long way from being perfect.  But I do get
> > annoyed by evangelists who make unsupportable claims that the
> > product doesn't live up to.
>
> I made no such claims. Again, did you actually read my posting?

Your claims are not the ones I have such trouble with.