Python -- (just) a successful experiment?

Björn Lindström bkhl at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Sun Aug 7 06:47:05 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> bkhl at stp.lingfil.uu.se (Björn Lindström) writes:
>> I don't see why the things you talk about would have to be part of the
>> main Python distribution. Ruby on Rails seems to do pretty well without
>> being included with the core language.
>
> I haven't used Ruby on Rails but from the description I saw, its distro
> includes everything needed, which I assume includes Ruby itself.

Hm... did you read my posting before you answered? That's exactly the
kind of distro I suggested that you would make. Ruby on Rails is not
Ruby itself, you know.

>> There's already a pretty successful programming framework for Python
>> (Zope), and I don't see why people wouldn't be able to put something
>> like that together to compete on more equal terms with Ruby on Rails, or
>> Delphi, &c.
>
> I have the impression that Zope is ungodly complex, and revolves around
> a weird and nonstandard database instead of having an SQL interface.

That's why you would put something together "to compete on more equal
terms with Ruby on Rails".

> Anyway, I'm a Python user, not an evangelist.  As a user I'm happy to
> have Python and am thankful to its authors, even though (like anything
> else) it's a long way from being perfect.  But I do get annoyed by
> evangelists who make unsupportable claims that the product doesn't
> live up to.

I made no such claims. Again, did you actually read my posting?

--
Björn Lindström <bkhl at stp.lingfil.uu.se>
Student of computational linguistics, Uppsala University, Sweden