thread limit in python

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Aug 13 17:12:16 EDT 2005

Bryan Olson wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>  > My question was in the context of the OP's situation.  What possible use
>  > for 1000 OS threads could he have?
>
> Is this a language thing? Surely you realize that "what possible
> use could <thing> be" carries an insinuation that <thing> is not
> such a good idea.

Obviously.  Is it no longer permissible to question someone's approach
to doing something?

You're questioning my approach to inquiring after the OP's requirements,
and clearly you believe there is a better way to do it.  Wonderful.  You
may even be right.  It's also off-topic.

I'm questioning why the OP thinks he needs more than 1000 threads, and
I'm genuinely interested in his answer.  Not your answer, unless you
have personal knowledge of his actual situation.

If it's merely a contrived example, I have no further interest in the
thread, as I'm interested in practical matters.  If he thinks he has a
real need, then I happen to believe there's very likely a better way to
do it.  And _my_ question happens to be on topic...

-Peter