thread limit in python

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Sat Aug 13 18:58:55 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
 > Bryan Olson wrote:
 >
 >> Peter Hansen wrote:
 >>  > My question was in the context of the OP's situation.  What
 >> possible use
 >>  > for 1000 OS threads could he have?
 >>
 >> Is this a language thing? Surely you realize that "what possible
 >> use could <thing> be" carries an insinuation that <thing> is not
 >> such a good idea.
 >
 > Obviously.  Is it no longer permissible to question someone's approach
 > to doing something?
 >
 > You're questioning my approach to inquiring after the OP's requirements,
 > and clearly you believe there is a better way to do it.  Wonderful.  You
 > may even be right.  It's also off-topic.

I'm just arguing against the notion that a couple thousands
threads is generally a bad idea; if you didn't mean to suggest
that, then I misread you. There are a lot of neat ways to do
things that use one-or-two threads per thing-they-can-support.
In days past such methods did not scale well, but on modern
systems that is no longer true.

--
--Bryan