thread limit in python

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Sat Aug 13 16:13:26 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
 > My question was in the context of the OP's situation.  What possible use
 > for 1000 OS threads could he have?

Is this a language thing? Surely you realize that "what possible
use could <thing> be" carries an insinuation that <thing> is not
such a good idea. Possible uses are many and perfectly
reasonable, such as building a quick, responsive server like
MySQL.

 > Is the OP's situation IO-bound,
 > CPU-bound, or just an experiment to see how many threads he can pile on
 > the machine at one time?  The fact that these threads are all sleeping
 > implies the latter, though what he posted could have been a contrived
 > example.  I'm interested in the real requirements, and whether more than
 > 1000 threads in this day and age (not some imaginary future) might not
 > be a poor approach.

If you're interested in his requirements, why not just ask him
about his requirements?  Kind of premature to condemn his
approach.

--
--Bryan