GUI tookit for science and education

TPJ tprimke at interia.pl
Mon Aug 15 14:08:43 EDT 2005

Recently I was considering the choice of PyGTK or wxPython. They are
both rich GUI libraries, and they both are cross-platform ones (well...
they work on GNU/Linux and on Windows).

I chose PyGTK, because it has *much* better documentation (I wasn't
very happy when I had to look for information in documentation of
wxPython - and lose a couple of hours - when I wanted to do something
really simple...) and it seems to work stable on Windows.

> Let's say someone has big amount of algorithms and
> statistical models implemented in Pascal
> (not well designed console apps).

OT: I would recommend the use of Python + Numeric and, eventually, C
(when the performance becomes really crucial). I'm working on genetic
algorithms and - for now - the combination of Python and C was the best
I got ever. In a few days I will run the first version of GAs
implemented with Numeric.