GUI tookit for science and education

Alessandro Bottoni alessandro.bottoni at infinito.it
Mon Aug 15 04:02:55 EDT 2005

Mateusz ?oskot wrote:

> I'd like to ask some scientists or students
> which GUI toolkit they would recommend
> to develop scientific prototypes (for education and
> testing some theories).
> I think such toolkit should fill a bit different
> needs and requirements:
> - very simple to learn
> - easy to install
> - beautyfiers and advanced features are not required like OpenGL,
> direct access to Windows GDI subsystem, beauty look and skinning
> - multiplatform required

First, have a look at:
- wxWidgets (http://www.wxwidgets.org)
- wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org)

Or, as a second choice:
- FLTK (http://www.fltk.org/)
- PyFLTK (http://pyfltk.sourceforge.net)

There are many others GUI toolkit around. Just search Google for
"multiplatform Python GUI toolkit" or something like that.

> Let's say someone has big amount of algorithms and
> statistical models implemented in Pascal
> (not well designed console apps).
> Now he want to move on using better and modern language
> and GUI toolkit.
> Python is seleceted as user friendly and simple
> language, Pascal successor.

There was a python to pascal automatic converter at:

http://no.spam.ee/~andreie/software/py2pas/english-index.html

(Now offline)

CU