Best editor?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Tue Apr 5 19:34:05 EDT 2005

Hi All--

Aahz wrote:

> Use vim.  80% of the power of emacs at 20% of the learning curve.

I think Aahz has it dead on.  Umpty-mumble years ago I spent six weeks
learning emacs lisp and customizing emacs until it did EXACTLY what I
wanted.  It was a great user interface, logical, consistent,
orthagonal.  It had only one thing wrong with it; it depended on
hardware keyboard features that PC keyboards don't have.

It would have taken me six weeks to retrain myself to the standard emacs
interface, so I used vi.  When vim became available, I switched to
that.  There's a good book available for vim:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735710015/qid=1112743931/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-7196910-2449750

It's excellent; even the index is useful, which is more than I can say
for 80% of the O'Reilly books out there, much as I love 'em.

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours