Best editor?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 5 19:35:13 EDT 2005

ChinStrap wrote:
> When not using the interactive prompt, what are you using? I keep
> hearing everyone say Emacs, but I can't understand it at all. I keep
> trying to learn and understand why so many seem to like it because I
> can't understand customization even without going through a hundred
> menus that might contain the thing I am looking for (or I could go
> learn another language just to customize!).
>
> Personally I like SciTE, it has everything I think a midweight editor
> should: code folding, proper python support, nice colors out of the
> box, hotkey access to compile (I'm sure emacs does this, but I couldn't
> figure out for the life of me how), etc.
>
> Opinions on what the best is? Or reading I could get to maybe sway me
> to Emacs (which has the major advantage of being on everyone's system).

There is only a "best" editor if you aare convinced that only oine
measure is important, allowing you to place all editors on a single
straight line and declare the one that appears furthest to the left or
right the "best".

In practice, of course, different people value different editor
characteristics, so there are a multitude of opinions about which is "best".

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/