cross platform printing

David Isaac aisaac0 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 24 22:33:33 EDT 2005

> Alan Isaac wrote:
> > What is the current best practice for cross platform printing of
PostScript

"Warren Postma" <wp at tekran.spammenziemichnichtdankeschon.com> wrote in
message news:mVa5e.6469$6k4.803027 at news20.bellglobal.com...
> Well since printing postscript files on most Unix systems (probably
> including Mac OSX although I don't really know this for sure) is
> trivially easy, why not investigate using cygwin  on Windows and
> launching an "lpr" task from your python script that prints the given
> postscript file. Implementation time on Unix: 0 minutes, 0 seconds.
> Implementation time on Windows; the time it takes make a cygwin batch
> file that prints using ghostscript.

I meant something that application users on different platforms can print
with, not something
that they could coerce a platform into supporting given enough energy (e.g.,
via Cygwin).
The closest to an option so far seems to be to generate PDF and assume an
application is available to print it.  Not beautiful.

Alan Isaac