cross platform printing

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Apr 25 01:26:38 EDT 2005

"David Isaac" <aisaac0 at verizon.net> writes:

>> Alan Isaac wrote:
> I meant something that application users on different platforms can print
> with, not something
> that they could coerce a platform into supporting given enough energy (e.g.,
> via Cygwin).
> The closest to an option so far seems to be to generate PDF and assume an
> application is available to print it.  Not beautiful.

What about generating some other image format? It does seem more
likely that the host OS will be able to handle, say GIF, than
PDF. In particular, Windows probably comes able to print GIF out of
the box, but not PDF. Then again, when I use Windows acrobat reader
gets installed fairly early, so I may have overlooked it.

    <mike