new to mac OS10

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 15 12:00:03 EDT 2005

Thomas Nelson wrote:
> The main thing I would like is to be able to use tkinter with python on
> my mac.  will the command-line-style source allow this?  Does it come
> with IDLE?

No. You need a framework version, which can be built from source, but
it's best to leave that to people who know what they're doing.  ;-)

http://python.org/ftp/python/2.4.1/MacPython-OSX-2.4.1-1.dmg

As for restoring Python 2.3.0, see below before going further. You may
have to reinstall the OS or parts of it. Or you might also be able to
snag the directories from another suitable OS X installation using the
appropriate tools.

And next time, *don't delete system files*!

> How is the fink version different from the source i can
> download at python.org?  Here's the result of the requested commands on
> my Terminal.  It would appear that these links are broken, as
> Python.framework no longer exists.  Sorry to be so much trouble,
>
> THN
>

> Welcome to Darwin!
> ~ $ ls -all /usr/bin/python*
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    9 20 Jun  2004 /usr/bin/python -> python2.3
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   72 20 Jun  2004 /usr/bin/python2.3 ->
> ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   10 20 Jun  2004 /usr/bin/pythonw -> pythonw2.3
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  122  8 Jun  2003 /usr/bin/pythonw2.3
> ~ $ ls /System/Library/Framework/Python.framework
> ls: /System/Library/Framework/Python.framework: No such file or directory
> ~ $ cd /System/Library/Framework/Python.framwork
> -bash: cd: /System/Library/Framework/Python.framwork: No such file or
> directory
> ~ $

You misspelt the framework path in both cases.

Blasphemy:~ kern$ ls /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Headers   Python    Resources Versions

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu