new to mac OS10

Kevin Walzer sw at wordtech-software.com
Sat Apr 16 14:08:37 EDT 2005

It's *not* a good idea to delete Apple's system Python. You will
probably need to reinstall the OS.

In addition to the mailing list that someone else posted (which is a
great resource!), here's a good site to check out:

http://pythonmac.org/

The site maintainer, Bob Ippolito, is one of the main developers of
Python on the Mac and maintains a lot of packages. This site also
includes lots of links to information.

Hope that helps,
Kevin

Thomas Nelson wrote:
| The main thing I would like is to be able to use tkinter with python on
| my mac.  will the command-line-style source allow this?  Does it come
| with IDLE?  How is the fink version different from the source i can
| download at python.org?  Here's the result of the requested commands on
| my Terminal.  It would appear that these links are broken, as
| Python.framework no longer exists.  Sorry to be so much trouble,
|
| THN
|

| Welcome to Darwin!
| ~ $ ls -all /usr/bin/python*
| lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    9 20 Jun  2004 /usr/bin/python -> python2.3
| lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   72 20 Jun  2004 /usr/bin/python2.3 ->
| ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python
| lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   10 20 Jun  2004 /usr/bin/pythonw -> pythonw2.3
| -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  122  8 Jun  2003 /usr/bin/pythonw2.3
| ~ $ ls /System/Library/Framework/Python.framework
| ls: /System/Library/Framework/Python.framework: No such file or directory
| ~ $ cd /System/Library/Framework/Python.framwork
| -bash: cd: /System/Library/Framework/Python.framwork: No such file or
| directory
| ~ $
|

| Jorl Shefner wrote:
|
|> If you simply want the latest python to run from the command line, then
|> compiling the source code works fine on the mac.  I just installed
|> 2.4.1 on Os 10.3.8 last week without any problems.
|>
|> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.1/Python-2.4.1.tgz
|>
|> "./configure"
|> "make"
|> "make install"
|>
|> J.S.

- --
Cheers,

Kevin Walzer, PhD
WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
http://www.wordtech-software.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
mailto:sw at wordtech-software.com