new to mac OS10

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Thu Apr 14 21:49:12 EDT 2005

> I was actually trying to update to the newest python version, and I had
> read something saying it would conflict with the old version, so I went
> through and deleted all the folders that had "python" in the name =].
> clever of me, huh?  now I can't make either the new or the old work.
> Once again, any help would be terrific.
>
> THN

Ok... I am going to assume a few things and will need you to check a few
things... please tell me if my assumptions are wrong...

assumption 1: you are afraid of "python overload' in Mac because you
want the latest version of Python but Apple doesn't seems to maintain
the upgrade of the Apple-installed Python.

assumption 2: you are installing the latest version of Python through Fink.

I need you to check the following things and tell me the results:

1. go to /usr/bin and do a "ls -all python*"

2. check for presence of /System/Library/Framework/Python.framework

3. do a "which python"

4. do a "which pythonw"

5. execute "python"

6. execute "pythonw"