Best editor?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Apr 9 16:07:32 EDT 2005

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:

> Use vim.  80% of the power of emacs at 20% of the learning curve.

Hmm. Can I read mail/news/web pages in vim? I can in emacs.

Emacs is a computing environment. I read mail and news in it, so I
don't have to worry about learning some applications custom editor
(ok, a good MUA/newsreader will invoke my favorite editor - but that's
Emacs, so why bother). I use emacs for the heavy lifting.

vi is adequate, and I use it for editing things as root. Every once
and a while I'll start an emacs as root, but I do try to avoid that.

For quick edits (as either root or me) I use ex. I can't get past ed
not having a prompt.

    <mike