Best editor?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Apr 9 19:33:32 EDT 2005

In article <86k6nbww6z.fsf at guru.mired.org>, Mike Meyer  <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
>aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
>>
>> Use vim.  80% of the power of emacs at 20% of the learning curve.
>
>Hmm. Can I read mail/news/web pages in vim? I can in emacs.

Yup, that's why emacs stands for Eighty Megabytes And Constantly
Swapping.  ;-)

>Emacs is a computing environment. I read mail and news in it, so I
>don't have to worry about learning some applications custom editor
>(ok, a good MUA/newsreader will invoke my favorite editor - but that's
>Emacs, so why bother). I use emacs for the heavy lifting.

Doesn't work so well when you want to use an application that isn't
emacs, yet still invoke a custom editor.  But yeah, if you consider emacs
a Way of Life, then you're making sense.

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR