Best editor?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Apr 11 22:49:15 EDT 2005

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:

> In article <86k6nbww6z.fsf at guru.mired.org>, Mike Meyer  <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
>>aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
>>>
>>> Use vim.  80% of the power of emacs at 20% of the learning curve.
>>
>>Hmm. Can I read mail/news/web pages in vim? I can in emacs.
> Yup, that's why emacs stands for Eighty Megabytes And Constantly
> Swapping.  ;-)

Gee, it's changed from eight to eighty. Probably because eight is a
small app by todays standards. Then again, it's not like 80 is large
these days.

Of course, you don't have to load any of the code for doing those
things if you don't want to use it.

>>Emacs is a computing environment. I read mail and news in it, so I
>>don't have to worry about learning some applications custom editor
>>(ok, a good MUA/newsreader will invoke my favorite editor - but that's
>>Emacs, so why bother). I use emacs for the heavy lifting.
>
> Doesn't work so well when you want to use an application that isn't
> emacs, yet still invoke a custom editor.  But yeah, if you consider emacs
> a Way of Life, then you're making sense.

You tell those applications to use emacsclient as the editor, and add
(gnuserv-start) to your emacs init file. This is especially usefull
when running applications that want to start an editor in a shell
window in emacs.

       <mike