Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?

Michael Kearns michael.kearns at REMOVEsaaconsultants.com
Tue Apr 12 06:35:42 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Michael Kearns wrote:

>>I would guess from the responses so far that Python 2.4 just isn't used within commercially
>>shipping products
>
> that kind of unfounded hyperbole only makes you look silly.

As no-one had replied that they had found it fine to use in a commercial
sense, or pointed to other product that may use it, I'm not entirely
sure how it makes me look any sillier than I normally do in real life.

>>I don't know.
>
> exactly.  now calm down, and go read the replies to this thread again.  or consult
> a lawyer, and make it clear to him that you're not actually *using* the MSVCR71
> component yourself, *and* that the Python application you are using (and passing
> on to your users) is adding significant and primary functionality to the MSCVR71
> library.

I apologise if my writing suggests a lack of calm. I have fully read the
replies, and although there are many fine suggestions of shipping
additional products, none seems to address the lack of legality
regarding the windows distribution other than "It's not the Python
developers problem". Again, if I paraphrased incorrectly, I'm sorry.

As for consulting a lawyer, this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. My
usage of python in a commercial sense is as a small utility - a helper,
if you will. It has no business value whatsoever, compared to the
product that it ships with, and certainly does not warrant any
investment regarding legal advice.

I would agree that Python is adding significant value to the library.
Unfortunately, the Microsoft Redistribution document, from what I read,
does not allow an end-user to further redistribute the library. I am
that end-user, of Python.

The whole situation is already becoming far more work than if I'd used a
different technology for what I had to achieve, and as such I have no
desire to pursue it further. I'm once more running 2.3, and happy with that.

With respect,

Michael.