Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Apr 12 06:59:50 EDT 2005

Michael Kearns wrote:

> As for consulting a lawyer, this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. My usage of python in a
> commercial sense is as a small utility - a helper, if you will. It has no business value
> whatsoever, compared to the product that it ships with, and certainly does not warrant any
> investment regarding legal advice.

without consulting a lawyer, how come you're so sure that the MS C support
library is the only component you're using that may cause you legal problems?

> Unfortunately, the Microsoft Redistribution document, from what I read, does not allow an end-user
> to further redistribute the library.

the REDIST document doesn't say anything like that, and neither does the
EULA (at least not the copies I have in my properly licensed VS Enterprise
installation).

all it says is that when the Python developers ("you" in the EULA) redistributes
the redistributable component as part of a Python distribution (the "licensee soft-
ware" in the EULA), the developers must respect the original EULA wrt. this
component.  And when someone using Python is redistributing Python, that third
part ("your distributors" in the EULA) must also respect the original EULA wrt.
this component.

(see section 3.1a in the EULA, and make sure you understand what the words
"you", "licensee software", "redistributables" and "distributors" mean in that text)

</F>