i am going to get crazy!!!

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 08:49:52 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:25:40 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> Carlos Ribeiro wrote:
>
> > -- There are two classes of developers: those who like IDEs and those
> > who doesn't.  (...)
>
> Carlos, you're right that different styles are involved, and this
> could be considered yet another "religious" matter, but don't make
> the mistake of assuming those of us who prefer no IDE "come from
> another background" or "don't get the fuss".  I suspect many or
> most of us have used very fancy GUI IDE tools *extensively*, but
> have after long years and for various reasons rejected them in
> favour of simpler or lighter weight approaches.

I'm really sorry if I you (or anybody else) read it this way. I never
meant to say that people that don't like "fancy GUI IDEs" had not
knowledge about them. In fact, some of the best programmers all around
don't like IDEs, and it must tell us something about it :-) But there
are lots of valid reasons to choose one or other type of tool.
Personal choice is one of them, and I think that it may be one of the
most important things to be considered here. But I still think that
the type of programming work at hand is essential to understand why an
RAD-style IDE is so important to some people.

I've commented a few minutes ago that one of the problems, in the
particular case of Python IDEs, is not with the IDE itself, but the
lack of a simple framework for application development. This framework
is integrated in every top commercial IDE available -- be it Delphi,
VB, Visual Studio, whatever. Of all Python IDEs, only Boa and
PythonCard come close to such offering, but fall short on several
fronts; for example, the lack of database editing controls is one such
a problem.

Why is it so important, you may ask? I may be over generalizing again,
so take it as my own personal opinion and with a large grain of salt.
Business programmers don't like to have to worry about event loops,
message handling, database marshalling, initialization or finalization
code. They want to design forms, glue them together, add a few
business rules, and have an application running as quickly as
possible. That's has nothing to do with skill or technical competence.
It's just the way it is -- when you're paid relatively low wages to
finish a lot of small programs, you're better of making the most of
your time. And writing code by hand to tie the database to the text
editing control is not going to help much in this regard.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com