i am going to get crazy!!!

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Sep 15 08:25:40 EDT 2004

Carlos Ribeiro wrote:

> -- There are two classes of developers: those who like IDEs and those
> who doesn't. The latter camp includes people that swear by Emacs, VIM,
> and stuff like that. I don't mean to sound badly, but such people
> don't get what's the fuss about a good IDE. They come from another
> background, and normally write another type of software, one that
> doesn't need such "fancy" gadgetry to work. Don't try to argue with
> them -- there's no right and wrong here, just different styles at
> work.

Carlos, you're right that different styles are involved, and this
could be considered yet another "religious" matter, but don't make
the mistake of assuming those of us who prefer no IDE "come from
another background" or "don't get the fuss".  I suspect many or
most of us have used very fancy GUI IDE tools *extensively*, but
have after long years and for various reasons rejected them in
favour of simpler or lighter weight approaches.

-Peter