python is going to die! =(

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Wed Sep 22 16:40:43 EDT 2004

Jarek Zgoda <jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl> writes:

> I love Delphi, 5 days a week, 9:00-17:30, but I don't want Python to be
> bound to one platform, as Delphi is (no, Kylix is not an answer, it's a
> disaster). I'm really happy (and productive) using wx on Windows and
> PyQt on linux, with wxGlade and Qt Designer as GUI designers. There's
> only one thing from Delphi I'd like to see in other IDE's -- its
> integrated debugging is great. Eclipse (w. Java) has very similar model
> of debugger integration.

A friend of mine -- actually a business partner -- that comes from a
world like yours is loving to work with Python since I convinced him
about it.  One thing that he always complain about is the absence of
components like TDatabase, TQuery, TDBEdit, TDBGrid, etc.  (He's being a
DBA for the last 20+ years --- where the '+' probably means more 5 or 6
years ;-D)

What are you using to replace those in your wxPython apps?  I really
don't know them and I am not being able to help him with that.

I've seen, though, the wxODBC family but he always tells me that there
are several penalties in performance for not using the native drivers in
critical applications...  What is your opinion about it?

Be seeing you,
--
Godoy.     <godoy at ieee.org>