python is going to die! =(

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl
Wed Sep 22 16:14:06 EDT 2004

Fred <fred at acme.com> pisze:

>>I do notice though that when I try to convince a co-worker to try Python,
>>the thing that seems to be the biggest turn off is the lack of an IDE with a
>>GUI designer included standard
>
> I agree. Once you're used to the productivity of Delphi or VB, it's a
> big turn-off to have to go back to building GUI's by hand, and
> shipping the 3MB DLL for wxWidgets is an extra reason why newbies
> might give up on another excellent tool. Too bad Guido et al. didn't
> take the GUI part into consideration earlier.

I love Delphi, 5 days a week, 9:00-17:30, but I don't want Python to be
bound to one platform, as Delphi is (no, Kylix is not an answer, it's a
disaster). I'm really happy (and productive) using wx on Windows and
PyQt on linux, with wxGlade and Qt Designer as GUI designers. There's
only one thing from Delphi I'd like to see in other IDE's -- its
integrated debugging is great. Eclipse (w. Java) has very similar model
of debugger integration.

> But then, maybe someone will come up with a good IDE + GUI designer as
> part of the .Net shebbang.

Go, try Delphi 8.

--
Jarek Zgoda