python is going to die! =(

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Wed Sep 22 00:08:19 EDT 2004

In article <0f71l09s44fu9rtg6lrte3qeicgu40off1 at 4ax.com>,
Fred  <fred at acme.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:01:00 -0400, "RPM1" <rpm1deleteme at direcway.com>
>wrote:
>>I do notice though that when I try to convince a co-worker to try Python,
>>the thing that seems to be the biggest turn off is the lack of an IDE with a
>>GUI designer included standard
>
>I agree. Once you're used to the productivity of Delphi or VB, it's a
>big turn-off to have to go back to building GUI's by hand, and
>shipping the 3MB DLL for wxWidgets is an extra reason why newbies
>might give up on another excellent tool. Too bad Guido et al. didn't
>take the GUI part into consideration earlier.
			.
			.
			.
In the Tk community, there's a fair density of developers
with backgrounds in Delphi or VB, yet who claim to *prefer*
to do "GUIs by hand".  The "turn-off" isn't universal, if my
observations are accurate.

Also, I confess to taking offense at your mention of Guido et
al.  Please don't think they ignored GUI considerations or
possibilities.  Even with hindsight, *I* sure don't know how
they could have done better by themselves and Python.  I suspect
I'm overreacting, and that you intended no disrespect in what
you wrote.  It certainly rubbed me wrong, though.