apache error

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Tue Sep 14 00:16:43 EDT 2004

someguy wrote:
>     	I realise that this might not be the appropriate
> newgroup for this
> question but there isn't a newsgroup on apache.
> I'm using python to do some cgi programming and i'm using DOM
> to sort a
> table when the user clicks on a different heading.  Here is a
> sniplet of
> code:
>     	<th class = 'head'><a href=""
> onclick="sortTable(0)">Rank</a></th>
>

> The sortTable() is a javascript method in an external file.
> For some reason i got a the following error when i click on the table
> header:
>
>     	Forbidden
>     	You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/ on this server.
>
>     	Apache/2.0.50 (Win32) mod_python/3.1.3 Python/2.3.3
> PHP/4.3.8 Server
> 	at 24.156.164.6 Port 80
>
> I'm running Apache on Windows Xp.  Any suggestions as to what
> premission
> needs to be changed?

Try changing href="" to href="http://www.google.com" and I think you'll
see you aren't canceling the hyperlink. Even though your onclick event
may be fired, the hyperlink is still being invoked. Since you left href
blank, it assumes you want the default page of the root directory, in
your case, /cgi-bin/, and takes you there. Or tries to. Try this
instead:

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries