Xah Lee's Unixism

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm at acm.org
Sun Sep 12 10:21:55 EDT 2004

    jmf>    Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
    >> ...  Bush thinks he's entitled
    >> to declare anybody and everybody an "enemy combatant" and lock
    >> them up in secret forever.

    jmf> Would rather he do like Italy?  They are letting them go.
    jmf> Then these released people go blow up something else. [...]

Why are those the only two choices?  Do you think people turn into
bomb-wielding terrorists by feat of mere suspicion?

I don't think the US abuses the 'enemy combatant' device as much as we
fear, yet.   But if the people in the US are convinced that the choice is
between getting blown up and secret detentions w/o judicial oversight
then it will get far worse than we fear.

I am beginning to think the US gov't and populace alike might be
believing the "they hate us for our freedoms" line and trying to get rid
of the said freedoms in the hope that it will appease the terrorists.

Look, what is to prevent your government from putting cuffs on me and
shipping me off to a dungeon the next time I am in the US because of
the sentence above?  Would I see a judge?  Lawyer?  Would anybody even
know?  Are you guys truly scared enough to sanction this kind of behaviour
from your gov't?

cheers,

BM