Xah Lee's Unixism

jmfbahciv at aol.com jmfbahciv at aol.com
Sun Sep 12 09:32:50 EDT 2004

In article <87zn3v7ekc.fsf at p4.internal>,
   Bulent Murtezaoglu <bm at acm.org> wrote:
>    jmf>    Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
>    >> ...  Bush thinks he's entitled
>    >> to declare anybody and everybody an "enemy combatant" and lock
>    >> them up in secret forever.
>
>    jmf> Would rather he do like Italy?  They are letting them go.
>    jmf> Then these released people go blow up something else. [...]
>
>Why are those the only two choices?  Do you think people turn into
>bomb-wielding terrorists by feat of mere suspicion?

Oh, sigh!  [emoticon begins to hit head against wall because
it feels better]

>I don't think the US abuses the 'enemy combatant' device as much as we
>fear, yet.

Hint..the US isn't abusing enemy combatants.

> ...  But if the people in the US are convinced that the choice is
>between getting blown up and secret detentions w/o judicial oversight
>then it will get far worse than we fear.

WHAT SECRET DETENTIONS?

>I am beginning to think the US gov't and populace alike might be
>believing the "they hate us for our freedoms" line and trying to get rid
>of the said freedoms in the hope that it will appease the terrorists.

Now there you actually made a point, but not the one you think you
did.

>Look, what is to prevent your government from putting cuffs on me and
>shipping me off to a dungeon the next time I am in the US because of
>the sentence above?

Too many people coming in.  As long as you don't stand up and
shout bomb or make a fool of yourself going through customs
and fill out the paperwork without trying to be a smartass,
I don't see people who are already overworked and stretched
thin bothering with you.

> .. Would I see a judge?  Lawyer?

I don't know.  I had understood that, if you didn't get
through customs, you were put back on a plane out of the
country.

> ...  Would anybody even
>know?

Yes.  Lots of people.

> ..Are you guys truly scared enough to sanction this kind of behaviour
>from your gov't?

If you are a terrorist with the intent to wreak death and
destruction in this country, I sure as hell hope somebody
doesn't let you in.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.