Tracking Users By IP Address

Markus Zywitza markus.zywitza at gmx.de
Thu Oct 7 05:11:42 EDT 2004

Hi Fuzzy,

> Assuming that each visitor will have a unique IP address is probably
> not 100% accurate but will have a reasonably low margin of error !! Is
> there any reason not to use this approach ?

I know a reason: Millions of AOL users are forced to use a cluster of proxy
servers, so they will not only share a small range of IPs, but the IP might
change from request to request!

I therefore advice you to use sessions instead of IP tracking. This is much
more accurate and should be supported by most webapp-frameworks.

  -Markus