Tracking Users By IP Address

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 04:58:36 EDT 2004

Ok so this is really an HTTP question... but I'd far rather ask it
here !! If I don't get an answer I'll have to try elsewhere I guess
:-(

I'm developing a simple web user statistics program and I'd like to
gather information like number of pages a user views per visit. This
way I can distinguish between number of visits and number of page
views.

Assuming that each visitor will have a unique IP address is probably
not 100% accurate but will have a reasonably low margin of error !! Is
there any reason not to use this approach ?

I could also set a cookie, but thescript works by embedding some
javascript in each page. The javascript does an image fetch which
sends the information to anotehr server. I believe setting cookies in
an image fetch to a different server to the main page request is
likely to be blocked by many people ?

Regards,

Fuzzy

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/pythonutils.html