Encouraging Python adoption in your organization

GerritM gmuller at worldonline.nl
Sun Oct 3 15:14:59 EDT 2004

"Alia Khouri" <alia_khouri at yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
news:40a939c9.0410021235.623eb6f6 at posting.google.com...
> <...snip...>
> Now, I've inherited an environment which is windows-centric, lacking
> in knowledge about scripting, and somewhat sub-standard in terms of
> productivity. I've also inherited a set of pre-existing systems which
> I have to deal with and manage:
>
> - Peoplesoft ERP
> - Java webframework based on webwork/hibernate/jboss/mysql
> - Lotus Notes/Domino
>
> Given this context, I'm mulling over strategies to encourage the
> productivity-enhancing benefits and 'joy' of python scripting to my
> developers. Of course, I'd rather be persuasive than coercive.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Many Thanks.

I would recommend to couple the changes to the "hot" topics of the rest of
the organisation. In other words the important and urgent needs. I have
written a short article about this: "From Legacy to State-of-the-art;
Architectural Refactoring"
http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/ArchitecturalRefactorin
gPaper.pdf
Besides I would make sure that you promote Python by showing its true value:
high productivity.Do not start to re-implement existing solutions in Python
if there is no clear benefit for the rest of the organisation.

kind regards, Gerrit Muller

--
Praktijk voor Psychosociale therapie Lia Charité
<www.liacharite.nl>