Encouraging Python adoption in your organization

Paddy McCarthy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Sun Oct 3 01:53:40 EDT 2004

alia_khouri at yahoo.com (Alia Khouri) wrote in message news:<40a939c9.0410021235.623eb6f6 at posting.google.com>...
> Recently, I've been fortunately placed in a position to possibly
> mandate the use of python for certain tasks in my new organization.
>
> Now, I've inherited an environment which is windows-centric, lacking
> in knowledge about scripting, and somewhat sub-standard in terms of
> productivity. I've also inherited a set of pre-existing systems which
> I have to deal with and manage:
>
> - Peoplesoft ERP
> - Java webframework based on webwork/hibernate/jboss/mysql
> - Lotus Notes/Domino
>
> Given this context, I'm mulling over strategies to encourage the
> productivity-enhancing benefits and 'joy' of python scripting to my
> developers. Of course, I'd rather be persuasive than coercive.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Many Thanks.
>
> Alia K
send carefully chosen selection of your developers for training in
Python and probably Zope. Although one can learn on ones own, a few
days away from normal office pressures allows one to concentrate on
the subject better.

Take a good look at what you have and try and do an honest critique -
what is good as well as bad in it, then, discuss your findings and
suggest/ask for suggestions on improvements. Remember your greatest
resource is most likely to be your people.
Try and sell to them the career benifits of an improved system  - Can
you Justify to your boss the changes you envisage?

Make python available throughout your domain - Every windows machine
should have  Activestates distro. (and/or Cygwin). If you were
thinking of moving to Zope then get it installed  and let people know
where it is and were to access tutorials.
Mandate on obvious Python strengths - document each class/function -
self testing modules, platform independance (but pre-define your
platforms).

If your system is just plain bad then you might be able to go with
'What we have is bad in so many ways (and this should be
self-evident). A clean sweep is called for. A new system, a new
language, new training, the company wins - thepeople of your team
wins!

Ta ta,  Paddy.