Python to Python communication

Diez B. Roggisch deets.nospaaam at web.de
Mon Oct 11 08:51:43 EDT 2004

hi,

> XMLRPC - quite "simple" to implement within python, contained in my
> favourite web framework Quixote / medusa
>
> SOAP - around the same amount of work as XMLRPC
>
> ----> these two are fully buzzword compatible to enterprise communication
> needs. But are they really lightwight and needed?

Unless you don't need the connectivity to other non-python apps that depend
on using one of them, stay clear of those two. They are pretty slow,
primitive in the sense that all they give you is a stateless C-api-like
calls and by far not as mature as say corba. And last time I checked, the
SOAP-support in python was far from beeing complete. And that checking of
mine hasn't been too long ago.

> Banana - within the twisted framework. Is described as high performance
> with very litte ressources. From my scanning of twisted it is meanwhile
> possible to integrate it within wxPython and you only need to sell the
> soul of your firstborn for it; but I got the impression twisted rather
> needs a total commitment than a "I just need some banana, man"
> pyro - Python Remote Objects. Irmen de Jong has a "get Firefox" icon on
> it's page and he plays with the name "pyro", which makes a good
> impression. It looks rather "ripe", but: he is talking about "pyro 4.0"
> which will be incompatible with pyro 3.4 and a total redesign. That makes
> me shudder.

Don't used those two, but if I had a similar situation to yours (namely no
non-python-apps), I'd certainly give pyro a try.

> COM / DCOM. From our favourite software company, available mainly within
> windows. Wrapped excellently with pywin32 ... but needs some seriuos
> type-mangeling to get through and around 2 Gig of Browser Cache to read
> all the MSDN documentation, which is quite C-ish.

I use Linux, so I won't comment on that.

> socket / select. Within the standard lib. Does not look to hard to get to
> work, working samples included in the nutshell.

Been down that road - but while its quick to start, it nearly as fast gets
tedious as your requirements develop - usually, you end up with your own
xmlrpc-style implementation. Better skip that.

I personally have very good expiriences with corba - omniORBpy, to be
precise. Don't know how well that runs on windows, though. But on *nix, it
certainly saved my day more than once.

Regards,

Diez