Python to Python communication

Harald Massa cpl.19.ghum at spamgourmet.com
Mon Oct 11 08:40:07 EDT 2004

Hello,

I have a group of Python programms which I want to teach to "talk to each
other".

All run on Windows, on the same computer or in the same intranet.
Security of communication is not an issue (encryption on lower level
protocols / intra computer communication). Partially these programs are
using wxPython.

It is important that the communcation is "only an added feature", I am
not willing to spend big memory / computing ressources on it.

So I googled and came up with at least the following opportunities:

XMLRPC - quite "simple" to implement within python, contained in my
favourite web framework Quixote / medusa

SOAP - around the same amount of work as XMLRPC

----> these two are fully buzzword compatible to enterprise communication
needs. But are they really lightwight and needed?

Banana - within the twisted framework. Is described as high performance
with very litte ressources. From my scanning of twisted it is meanwhile
possible to integrate it within wxPython and you only need to sell the
soul of your firstborn for it; but I got the impression twisted rather
needs a total commitment than a "I just need some banana, man"

pyro - Python Remote Objects. Irmen de Jong has a "get Firefox" icon on
it's page and he plays with the name "pyro", which makes a good
impression. It looks rather "ripe", but: he is talking about "pyro 4.0"
which will be incompatible with pyro 3.4 and a total redesign. That makes
me shudder.

COM / DCOM. From our favourite software company, available mainly within
windows. Wrapped excellently with pywin32 ... but needs some seriuos
type-mangeling to get through and around 2 Gig of Browser Cache to read
all the MSDN documentation, which is quite C-ish.

socket / select. Within the standard lib. Does not look to hard to get to
work, working samples included in the nutshell.

----

so, I am stranded ... and ask C.L.P. for recommendations.

What library have you used and would recommend?

Harald