High volume websites using Python web server software?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Oct 27 11:55:31 EDT 2004

Michael Sparks wrote:
> Irmen de Jong wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>Things like Twisted, medusa, etc.... that claim to be able
>>to support hundreds of concurrent connections because of the
>>async I/O framework they're based on....
>>can someone give a few examples of some web sites actually
>>using those Python frameworks?
>

> What do you define as high volume? Different people have different
> expectations here. I would say for example that high volume starts at
> around 10-20 million requests per day, but even that is an order of
> magnitude too low to *really* be viewed as high volume, _unless_ you're
> only counting valid page impressions and not all web objects served.

I think he's talking about servers that server a higher-than-normal
number of simultaneous connections.

For instance, with Apache you can only serve as many connections as you
have processes or threads.  By default, that usually leaves you with
maybe ten concurrent connections (with everyone else being queued), and
while you can bump that up considerably there's still a limit.

This works fine when requests are quickly completed, because you can
still serve a large number of requests even if only a small number of
concurrent request.  But if the requests are long-running (e.g., a
telnet session) then you need to serve a large number of requests.
Because async frameworks don't have the overhead of multiple processes
or threads, they can potentially serve a large number of simultaneous
requests where other systems cannot.