High volume websites using Python web server software?

Michael Sparks zathras at thwackety.com
Wed Oct 27 15:23:05 EDT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Ian Bicking wrote:

> Michael Sparks wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>Things like Twisted, medusa, etc.... that claim to be able
> >>to support hundreds of concurrent connections because of the
> >>async I/O framework they're based on....
> >>can someone give a few examples of some web sites actually
> >>using those Python frameworks?
> >

> > What do you define as high volume? Different people have different
> > expectations here. I would say for example that high volume starts at
> > around 10-20 million requests per day, but even that is an order of
> > magnitude too low to *really* be viewed as high volume, _unless_ you're
> > only counting valid page impressions and not all web objects served.
>
> I think he's talking about servers that server a higher-than-normal
> number of simultaneous connections.

Sure - that's the way I read it, but the question of high volume still
stands IMO.

[ nice short summary of threads vs async ]

Yep, I was aware of that, but I was really querying whether it was
actually a problem for the poster or if they're after "proof" (in the form
of high volume sites) or just curious.

Almost high volume system I've seen and/or worked with has been based
using servers which use an async approach, and by high volume in *this*
context I'm speaking billions of web requests per day rather than
thousands. (these weren't python though :)

To be fair I'd also be curious as to any high volume sites using python as
well, but I must admt my view of high volume might be different from other
peoples :-)

Regards,

Michael.