High volume websites using Python web server software?

Michael Sparks michaels at rd.bbc.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 11:07:11 EDT 2004

Irmen de Jong wrote:

> Hi,
> Things like Twisted, medusa, etc.... that claim to be able
> to support hundreds of concurrent connections because of the
> async I/O framework they're based on....
> can someone give a few examples of some web sites actually
> using those Python frameworks?

What do you define as high volume? Different people have different
expectations here. I would say for example that high volume starts at
around 10-20 million requests per day, but even that is an order of
magnitude too low to *really* be viewed as high volume, _unless_ you're
only counting valid page impressions and not all web objects served.

That said at that level you're generally dealing with a server farm,
and no matter how big you think *your* site is, there's (almost) always
someone bigger *especially* IF you factor in web proxy systems as being
web server software as well.

Also do you mean python application systems on top of web servers or
python as the web server - sounds like the latter? (As far as I'm aware
the BBC don't use python in either area, but I could be wrong, but these
questions sprang to mind reading the responses you've had from others).

Regards,

Michael.
Michael.Sparks at rd.bbc.co.uk
British Broadcasting Corporation, Research and Development
Kingswood Warren, Surrey KT20 6NP

This message (and any attachments) may contain personal views
which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.