GPL and Python modules.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Oct 25 14:22:41 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-25, marcus at deepfort.com <marcus at deepfort.com> wrote:

>>Let's say I use a GPL'd python module (e.g. something installed
>>in site-packages) in an application.
>>
>>Let's also say I use py2exe to package and distribute said
>>application.
>>
>>Is what I'm distributing a "derived work" of the GPL'd python?
>>Or is py2exe's packaging of the module's .pyc file and my
>>application code's .pyc files a "mere aggregation" so that I
>>only have to provide source code for the GPL'ed module and not
>>for my application code?
>>
>>IOW, do I have to GPL my application code and distribute source
>>code for it?

> Why don't you just GPL the whole lot? Headache over, and a
> warm fuzzy feeling in its place.

I haven't said I won't. :) That said, providing a mechanism for
people to get the source does impose some overhead and cost.
And then there's the time/cost associated with supporting the
GPL'd source code _after_ you've provided somebody with it.

> If your work could be used to extend or wrap the module,

It doesn't.

> it's possible someone else may find it useful...

I doubt it, but you never know.

> Notwithstanding, obviously, any considerations you might have
> that would stop you, that's what I'd do - besides which, if
> you're benefiting from GPL stuff, give something back..

I do try, though it isn't always accepted.  The last set of
patches I submitted to gcc were declined. :(

You will find code by me in the socket and pyserial modules, in
gcc, binutils, gdb, fetchmail, rcs, mutt, and probably others
which I have forgotten.

> go on, you know you want to.. :-)

I also wrote a ladder diagram editor and a compiler
code-generator which are GPL'd.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I always liked FLAG
                                  at               DAY!!