GPL and Python modules.

marcus at deepfort.com marcus at deepfort.com
Mon Oct 25 13:40:13 EDT 2004

Grant Edwards wrote:

>Let's say I use a GPL'd python module (e.g. something installed
>in site-packages) in an application.
>
>Let's also say I use py2exe to package and distribute said
>application.
>
>Is what I'm distributing a "derived work" of the GPL'd python?
>Or is py2exe's packaging of the module's .pyc file and my
>application code's .pyc files a "mere aggregation" so that I
>only have to provide source code for the GPL'ed module and not
>for my application code?
>
>IOW, do I have to GPL my application code and distribute source
>code for it?

Just a thought..

Why don't you just GPL the whole lot? Headache over, and a warm fuzzy
feeling in its place.

If your work could be used to extend or wrap the module, it's possible
someone else may find it useful...

Notwithstanding, obviously, any considerations you might have that would
stop you, that's what I'd do - besides which, if you're benefiting from
GPL stuff, give something back.. go on, you know you want to.. :-)

Like I said, just a thought.