GPL and Python modules.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Oct 25 14:41:58 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-25, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:

>>>Why don't you just GPL the whole lot? Headache over, and a
>>>warm fuzzy feeling in its place.
>>

>> I haven't said I won't. :) That said, providing a mechanism
>> for people to get the source does impose some overhead and
>> cost. And then there's the time/cost associated with
>> supporting the GPL'd source code _after_ you've provided
>> somebody with it.
>
> You don't have to provide any mechanism, nor provide any
> support.  If you are giving them .pyc files, just include the
> .py files as well.

I guess I could just tell py2exe to also include the .py files
in the install directory.  There's still the problem of the
time/cost required to support them.

> But as long as you don't mind people seeing, redistributing,
> and modifying your source,

The problem is the time spent answering questions and helping
the people who have the source code.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I brought my BOWLING
                                  at               BALL -- and some DRUGS!!