PIL question - saving JPEG

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Oct 10 17:50:17 EDT 2004

"news.west.cox.net" wrote:

>I have a fairly simple Python program that uses Image and ImageDraw to create poll results on the
>fly.
>
> Because PIL only supports 256 colors for GIF and BMPs are huge (in comparison)... I have opted to
> create JPEGs.
>
> I have installed JPEG-6b and have checked to see that all of the libraries are in the correct,
> expected places.  But, I am still getting the following error.
>
> IOError: encoder jpeg not available

have you verified that PIL's build process was able to find and link against
the JPEG libraries?  here's how to fix this in 1.1.4 and earlier:

    http://effbot.org/zone/pil-decoder-jpeg-not-available.htm

for 1.1.5, setting the JPEG_ROOT variable in the setup.py file should do
the trick.  see comments in that file for details.

</F>