PIL question - saving JPEG

news.west.cox.net sean.berry2 at cox.net
Sun Oct 10 22:11:38 EDT 2004

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.4673.1097444893.5135.python-list at python.org...
> "news.west.cox.net" wrote:
>
>>I have a fairly simple Python program that uses Image and ImageDraw to
>>create poll results on the fly.
>>
>> Because PIL only supports 256 colors for GIF and BMPs are huge (in
>> comparison)... I have opted to create JPEGs.
>>
>> I have installed JPEG-6b and have checked to see that all of the
>> libraries are in the correct, expected places.  But, I am still getting
>> the following error.
>>
>> IOError: encoder jpeg not available
>
> have you verified that PIL's build process was able to find and link
> against
> the JPEG libraries?  here's how to fix this in 1.1.4 and earlier:
>
>    http://effbot.org/zone/pil-decoder-jpeg-not-available.htm
>
> for 1.1.5, setting the JPEG_ROOT variable in the setup.py file should do
> the trick.  see comments in that file for details.
>
> </F>

Thanks for the link.  However, after completing the list of changes, and
reconfiguring, remaking, rebuilding and reinstalling... still no luck.

I will try again tomorrow when I have regained a little bit of patience.  If
there are any other links like this one out there I would love to give it a
shot too.

Thanks for any help.