What is Python's answer to Perl 6?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 05:09:27 EST 2004

Max M <maxm at mxm.dk> wrote:

> Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:
> > Max M wrote:
> >>
> >>I just wonder what the difference is between .net, Mono and Parrot?
> >>
> >>To me they all seem to pretty similar goals.
> >
> > .NET and Mono _are_ pretty much the same - Mono is an open-source
> > reimplementation of the .NET framework.
>
> Yes, I know that. But know that is both .net and mono, why parrot?

Parrot is a completely different and disjoint virtual machine wrt
Mono/dotNet, optimized to run several VHLLs, including Perl (both 5 and
6) and others, and without any of the constraints that Mono has because
of the decision to follow Microsoft's CRL standard.

There are, of course, several reasons for the Parrot people to do their
own VM rather than accept Microsoft's design (or Sun's, for that
matter).  I don't understand your "why" question...!

Alex