What is Python's answer to Perl 6?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 05:18:28 EST 2004

Wilk <wilkSPAM at OUTflibuste.net> wrote:
> > Yes, I know that. But know that is both .net and mono, why parrot?
>
> It was java, why .net and mono...
> And finaly, there is python, why java ;-) ?

Sun had its own motivations, of course -- for example, they wanted C-ish
syntax and compiletime typing.  That's generally the kind of motivations
for each new language invention -- a desire for a different mix of
features from the existing ones.

New VMs generally have different motivations, tied to performance more
than to features per se.  Though I could see wanting a new VM for such
reasons as supporting some new and different threading model, say.

Alex