using the bsddb from Python (missing docs!)

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Thu Nov 18 12:25:18 EST 2004

michele.simionato at gmail.com (Michele Simionato) wrote:

> I was browsing through the source tree of Python 2.4b2 and in Lib/bsddb/test
> I found a lot of interesting stuff. It seems that the support for the bsd
> database is much better than documented in the standard library
> http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/lib/module-bsddb.html.

Indeed.

> There are tests for locking, transactions, join, etc.
> Is there some documentation anywhere?
> I could infer what I need from the tests but maybe there is already
> some nice article on the net explaining everything I want to know and more
> ;-) OTOH, I do not find Python-centric documentation in the sleepycat web
> site.

I'm not aware of any documentation, but I haven't looked much.  I've
just been checking out the dir(dbinstance.db), which offers cursors and
all sorts of other good stuff.

Sorry I can't really help you.

Thinking about it, it may be that much of the stuff isn't documented
and/or exposed because they wanted a simple dictionary-like interface to
bsddb.

 - Josiah